Maths in Schools Online: F-2 V9.0
Started Apr 19, 2023
Full course description
This course is delivered by the CSER STEM Professional Learning Group at The University of Adelaide as part of the national Maths in Schools program.
What will you learn?
This course is designed to build teacher confidence and positive mindsets in teaching maths and numeracy. It provides a broad introduction and guides you through a range of maths activities suitable for the Years F-2 classroom.
The course content is organised into a series of interconnected modules and is designed for a flexible approach to learning. The course includes the following modules:
- Core module 1: Getting Started (An introduction to maths & numeracy and positive maths mindsets)
- Core module 2: Practice and Pedagogies (A toolkit of approaches suitable for teaching maths)
- Core module 3: Connecting with Community (Careers with maths and ways to connect maths to the lives of students through Rich Contexts)
- Strand modules: Content in Action (select a minimum of two strands from Number, Algebra, Measurement, Space and Statistics)
The 3 core modules cover maths mindsets, highlight a range of evidence-based practices and pedagogies, demonstrate ways for incorporating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Histories and Cultures within maths learning and explore careers and real-world applications of mathematics.
The strand modules unpack Number, Algebra, Measurement, Space and Statistics curriculum content and include activities designed to scaffold knowledge and understanding that can be applied through a range of maths investigations. You will have the option to focus on two or more strands of your choice.
The course includes a community space for sharing and finding ideas. The course is aligned to V9.0 Australian Curriculum: Mathematics but activities can be contextualised within local state/territory curricula and initiatives.
By participating in this course, you will:
- Build your confidence and positive mindsets towards mathematics and numeracy.
- Understand key ideas and topics in maths and numeracy.
- Increase your awareness of maths connections and maths activities that embrace knowledges and cultures of First Nations Peoples of Australia.
- Explore examples of classroom activities and assessments.
- Learn about evidence-based practices to support maths education, including for inclusive teaching.
- Be exposed to careers and real-world applications of mathematics.
- See the opportunities for cross-curriculum integration highlighted.
- Engage in active learning and reflection in professional practice.
This course is self-paced with a flexible start date and is open for completion within a 6-month period. This course can be completed independently or with a colleague. We recommend setting goals and planning which modules you will cover to support completion success. For example, one module per week or fortnight or plan to complete the course intensively over two days.
The online course will take approximately 12 hours and requires participants to contribute and share ideas and/or resources to the Community Hive. Upon completion of all course tasks, you will be able to download a certificate of completion.
The course addresses the following AITSL professional standards for teachers:
- Standard 1 - Know students and how they learn - 1.4, 1.5
- Standard 2 - Know the content and how to teach it - 2.1, 2.4, 2.5
- Standard 3 - Plan for and implement effective teaching and learning - 3.3, 3.4
- Standard 6 - Engage in professional learning - 6.2, 6.3
- Standard 7 - Engage professionally with colleagues, parents/carers and the community - 7.4
Who should enrol?
This course is suitable for pre-service and in-service teachers.
School Leaders can use these courses to develop a whole school or jurisdiction approach to teaching maths and numeracy by building the capacity and mindsets of teaching staff. Connect with a Maths in Schools Project Officer to support you with implementation.
This course is free for educators.
To learn more about the Maths in Schools professional learning program, visit the Mathematics Hub or the CSER STEM Professional Learning website.
Maths in Schools: Teaching and Learning Resources to Support Mathematics is an initiative of, and funded by, the Australian Government Department of Education.
© 2022 Commonwealth of Australia, unless otherwise indicated. Creative Commons BY 4.0, unless otherwise indicated.