Full course description
Our courses give students a distinct advantage in progressing through their SACE Year 12 studies. They will help you to revise and consolidate knowledge in the subject, seek answers for specific queries and assist you to gain confidence in preparing for the SACE Year 12 exams. They will also provide invaluable tips on study skills and techniques specific to the subject.
The courses are 15 hours in duration delivered over a week (3 hours x 5 days or when there is a public holiday, 3 ¾ x 4 days). They are presented by experienced Year 12 teachers who are specialists in their subject area, committed and enthusiastic about helping students achieve their academic best.
Course content & Outcomes:
This course will revise key topics covered in SACE Year 11, and introduce select topics in preparation for the year ahead.
- Introduction to Stage 2 Biology - structure, organisation, assessment.
- Year 12 select topics
- DNA and Proteins
- nuclei acids, DNA, chromosomes, genes
- DNA replication, and protein synthesis
- amino acids, proteins
- enzymes, and factors that affect them
- human manipulation of DNA
- Cells as the basis of life
- prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells
- structure and function of organelles
- cell membrane, cytoskeleton
- energy transformations in cells
- photosynthesis, aerobic respiration and fermentation (anaerobic respiration)
- diffusion and osmosis
- active transport, endocytosis, exocytosis
- DNA and Proteins
- Emphasis will be to focus precisely on the Science Understandings so that understanding and achievement are maximised. Techniques for answering multiple choice, short answer, practical work and extended response questions will be introduced.
The course assists students to:
- Gain an introduction to content covered in Stage II.
- Develop an understanding of key concepts and ideas.
There will be no large groups lectures and the classes are limited in size allowing teachers to attend to individual learning needs. Our classroom style teaching method allows you to interact freely with the teacher and fellow students, ensuring the best possible learning environment. Key ideas from topics are revised, followed by practice exercises (including exam-type questions).
The structure of our Year 12 revision programs offer a high degree of continuity as you remain in the same class for the duration of the course, with many students returning throughout the year.
The fee is inclusive of course notes specifically developed for the course.
Please bring your own writing materials.
Please Note: This overview is intended as a guide only.
"It was very, very enlightening. Every single moment was a learning experience. It was so effective that every part of the course was useful."